June 25, 2024, 05:38:02 PM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Library files

Started by Andy, January 31, 2016, 06:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

When you create a lib file in IWB, can other programmers use it in a different language?

With the include file, you can see the what parameters you need to pass for each function.

Given that, could someone writing in C for example use the lib file?

Just a question.

Curious.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

aurelCB

probably LarryMc know better but i think that is not possible
if you create DLL in IWB then this new DLL can be used in any other compiler but
just even is created as CDCL standard

LarryMc

IWBasic uses nasm and outputs standard COFF format object files, and the static libraries should work with any linker that uses COFF format. 
That's the best answer I can give you.  You do need to heed Aurel's note about the calling convention used in calling your subroutines and how variables are passed (strings/udts) may cause problems with some other languages.
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

Andy

Thanks to both of you for that.

I was simply curious as the lib file I have made is the first one for me.

Andy.
Day after day, day after day, we struck nor breath nor motion, as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.