June 26, 2024, 06:43:43 AM

News:

IonicWind Snippit Manager 2.xx Released!  Install it on a memory stick and take it with you!  With or without IWBasic!

Snippet Manager not working

Started by billhsln, August 10, 2016, 09:01:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhsln

When I try to run the Snippet Manager, I get an error message.  So, then I reinstalled to see if that would clear the problem, but I still get the same message.  It seems to not find my version of IWB (3.03).

Attaching copy of error message.

Thanks,
Bill
When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

LarryMc

Bill
The problem is that I wrote the SM when EB/IWB was still using the registry entries to determine where certain files were located.
Starting with IWB 2.5 and above IWB doesn't use registry entries anymore.

So, you have just reminded me that I need to modify the SM so it will work with IWB 2.5x and above.......

It may take me a while...

Sorry about that

LarryMc
LarryMc
Larry McCaughn :)
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

LarryMc

I was just looking at the SM code to start getting some idea for the revisions I need to make.

Right now when the SM is started it looks for the registry entries that are made when you install EB or IWB.  This is done so that the proper code word text hi-lighting will be picked up.

If both are installed it lets the User pick which one to use.

In order to make this work with IWB3.x and above I have to add the facility for the User to tell the program where 3.x is installed.

And another consideration is that IWB3.x can be on a memory stick and SM is currently designed to be installed on a pc.

So, here's what I'm thinking:
If someone has both EB and IWB on their PC they probably have the color and hi-lighting set pretty close to the same.
Therefore, if I just use IWB3.x's in all cases then it won't hurt anything (and it will make my life simpler)
When starting the program the User will only have to tell the user where the two databases are (the read-only IWB3x one and the User's one.) 
This scheme will allow SM to also be installed on a memory stick to carry along with IWB3.x when it is installed on a memory stick.

COMMENTS?
LarryMc
Author of IWB+, Custom Button Designer library, Custom Chart Designer library, Snippet Manager, IWGrid control library, LM_Image control library

billhsln

I don't run IWB from a memory stick in any case and only have the most current version installed.

Bill

Egil

QuoteTherefore, if I just use IWB3.x's in all cases then it won't hurt anything (and it will make my life simpler)

That is the best way to do it.
( I am a great fan of the KISS method! - KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid)  ;D ;D

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

LarryMc

I remember KISS from my years in the Air Force days Egil.
But I hadn't heard it in years  :)
LarryMc

Egil

That reminds me of something... a couple of months ago your Snippet Manager suddenly did not start, but produced a compability error message instead. After editing the program properties by selecting "Compatible with Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" the problem was gone.
This happened the day after one of the Windows updates.

But haven't had any problems since. (and I use it all the time)

Egil
Support Amateur Radio  -  Have a ham  for dinner!

LarryMc

LarryMc

LarryMc

Just a screenshot showing that I've incorporated the code preferences editor from the IDE directly into IWSM as part of making IWSM totally independent from any other application.  Also, I've only got about 50 statements to go to have all the calls to the registry removed.

At that point IWSM will be able to run, stand alone, from a memory stick.

All that will be left at that time is clean up,testing, and Help File revisions.
LarryMc

billhsln

Looks very good.  Will be nice to be able to pick my own colors.

Thanks,
Bill